Made from scratch muffin mix

brewgal

My kids absolutely LOVE muffins, and I was making them from the "just add milk" mixes but it's just too expensive. I found a recipe for them and my kids love them just as much.

Basic Muffins
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
Mix ingredients together. Spoon into greased muffin cups, 2/3 full. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes. Makes about 12-15 muffins.

melli

Awesome! I have been looking for a recipe. I would much rather make something from scratch over a box any day! I'm still looking for a homemade brownie recipe. Do you happen to have one of those too?

BrewJen

We like to make blueberry muffins from scratch and use a very similar recipe. I'm not sure it's any cheaper than a 45 cent box of Jiffy, but it sure tastes better!

Brew, I always make all of my baked goods from scratch. I just feel like they taste so much better than the box mixes. Besides, I can control what goes into them that way too. Melli, if you buy the Nestle brand of baking cocoa it has a fabulous brownie recipe on it. That is the one I always use. Come to think of it, you can probably find it on their website too. It is really easy and absolutely delicious.

brewgal

I will definitely be trying the Nestle brownie recipe because we just bought some of the baking powder. My kids love the muffins and we are going to make a pancake mix from scratch next. Stephanie do you have a biscuit recipe? I would like one where I can have all the dry ingredients ready to go.

corked

This looks like a nice basic recipe. I'm copying it to give it a try. Does it taste pretty good just plain or do you just add whatever to it to dress it up?