Mampoer

DIY-Mom

Mampoer is a very unique, typical South African, homemade distilled brandy. It differs in the sense that it is distilled on the farm according to very special processes and its pure alcohol content is extremely high. Mampoer is often called 'fire water' because it causes first-time drinkers to catch their breath with the first sip.

Recipes for making Mampoer can easily be found by typing 'how to make mampoer' into your search engine.

DIY-Mom

:D :cool: That is a good way of describing it! The Mampoer Shorts website says it all: "The first sip burns all the way down. The second brings tears. On the third, the taste explodes. Richer, more luxurious than you expected. You lick those bruised lips, and pour another".

We received a bottle or two as a gift some time ago. Goodness, I could only manage smelling the Mampoer (and almost passed out). My hubby was more daring but could not speak for an hour afterwards. :D

BrewJen

I think I'll skip the Mampoer. I can barely handle regular liquor and this sounds far too potent for the likes of me. Kudos to those who can handle it.

Bailey

It sounds like after you get past the first two drinks, the rest should be pure bliss because you shouldn't be able to feel or taste anything. Those are the worst kinds of hangovers the next morning. I think I'll skip this one too BrewJen.

HelenWheels

I don't want to try this. I don't understand the appeal of drinking something so strong that it burns for an entire hour after. I rank the people that drink this alongside those that eat ghost peppers! :eek:

DIY-Mom

I agree with all of the above! Yet, you will be amazed by the number of people (may I dare say mostly men?) who at least tried Mampoer once, probable to boast that they have experienced 'the ultimate kick'.

JamesSkyrunner

I don't want to try this. I don't understand the appeal of drinking something so strong that it burns for an entire hour after. I rank the people that drink this alongside those that eat ghost peppers! :eek:
I think ill skip on this but I am one of them ppl who love ghost peppers I eat jalepenos like pickles love the spicy stuff :cool: :D

James Skyrunner

DIY-Mom

But then Mampoer will be a walk in the park for you, JamesSkyrunner! ;) Ghost peppers and spicy jalepenos are far worse and have much more bite. 'Hakkiesdraad' Mampoer has a relatively low alcohol content .... only 50% :D