matching them

clarkdart

Does anyone here always stick with traditional matches, do you always need to pair the wine correctly? Is there any real difference between heavy and light when it comes to matching with foods?

corked

There is, to a certain degree, but it all boils down to what you like. You don't want to have a full-bodied red wine with a delicate dish, like fish, or it will completely overpower the dish.

It is a matter of preference like corked said. However, some wines just scream for certain foods. Last night, I had a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon that just screamed for a nice steak. Needless to say, that's what we had for dinner. I do think a nice Merlot will go with anything. :)

clarkdart

Merlot is what actually got me thinking about this, I see it paired with so many different things. Most people we know always have a difference of opinion as to what can match with this or that. I would think as long as you are not trying to host a stuffy dinner party have a few different varieties close on hand for the guests and all should go well.

BrewJen

Merlot is a pretty versatile wine so you do see it with a variety of dishes. I don't do much in the way of pairing; usually I just drink what I like. ;)

clarkdart

It is good to know I am not the only one that things some wines have to be with a certain dish. To me it means you can spice it up a little and who knows you might find some new match that works great for everyone, maybe even have it named after you as an inside joke.

brewgal

I was never big on pairing wine with food until my husband went to culinary school, but now I have learned that your pairing can completely change the way your meals taste!

Georgie

I don't believe it! I cannot see how one type of wine is better than another with any meal. Heck, sometimes I will have a beer with a meal! I drink whatever I want as long as it tastes good. :rolleyes: