Mead in Mythology

BrewJen

I was reading a book the other day that involved Norse mythology, and apparently drinking mead together can be used as a binding oath. I've never heard anything like that before; have you?

No BrewJen. That's interesting. Have you seen the movie "Robin Hood" starring Kevin Costner? Friar Tuck has many scenes where he making mead and many scenes where he has had too much mead. It's a great movie.

Marcia

Mead was the drink of the Anglo-Saxons. The Anglo-Saxons came to England from Jutland and areas around Denmark and Norway around 449-450 A.D. to aid the Celts after Roman soldiers withdrew to fight off Goths and Visigoths in their own lands. The Anglo-Saxons continued until the Normal Conquest in 1066, which brought much of England under French domination (Normans). The French ran the Saxons out of their homes, forcing the elite to live in the woods. Robin Hood and his merry men were Saxons. They "stole" from the rich Normans to feed all the displaced Saxons. They, in essence, were stealing back their own goods. They had a rich history of drinking mead and of all the socializing, loyalty/fealty ceremonies, and the drinking to go along with it. Mead very much ties in with their traditions from early times to well past "Robin Hood" times.

Maverick

So THAT'S why Robin Hood's merry men were merry. I knew it.:D Thank you for the history lesson. That was neat. I didn't realize the history of drink went back that far.

RobertMcC

Cool facts! I don't think I ever read that, but it's cool that it's written that way. I love the history too. I had no idea that you could swear an oath with mead though, that's a neat fact.

wild

So THAT'S why Robin Hood's merry men were merry. I knew it.:D Thank you for the history lesson. That was neat. I didn't realize the history of drink went back that far.
And all this time I thought it was because they wore tights.;)

Lars

We read in senior English that the mead halls were where they slept at night. They would gather there, drink mead, tell stories about their accomplishments, and stay safe from anything that threatened them. I learned that when we studied "Beowulf." It really was an interesting time.