Mead Newbee

Terrence

hello everyone.

i am new to brewing mead.. I am trying it for the first time.. I have done a very simple recipe

5 gal of water -- the best MD has to offer .. lol
15 lb of honey.. from a friend who has his own hives.. wild honey.
and lalvin ec-1118 champange yeast..

we will see how this turns out.

hoping for something good.

wild

Welcome to the forum Terrence.
Congratulations on your first mead.
You are going to get a very dry mead.

Terrence

Thanks for the reply.

That is what i am hoping for. I am planning on bring it up in sweetness a little by adding a pound of honey once it’s done.

I made the biggest mistake tonight though. I will preface this by saying i brew beer and not wine or mead.

The majority of the bubbling calmed down.. Decided to xfr the mead to a glass carboy; with beer i would check the gravity and try a sample to see how it tastes. I did that..

It was like drinking a sweet snot ball.. that was nasty.. lol Will wait for another month and add something to clear the wine before doing that again.. lol

t.

Terrence

i am all excited now...

i checked the mead.. it went from a doing nothing and a bubbling carnival... its starting to clear.

cant wait ...

angeson

Defender of the swill
I'm there as well, newbee time. I've decided to make a mead But I'm not sure which one I should make. I have an orange blossom honey bee keeper for a neighbor. What variety ( melomel,braggot,pyment etc.) is most widely enjoyed. It would be a shame to put forth the effort and make something nobody liked. What is your favorite?

Terrence

I am going with a traditional dry mead.. not messing with a pyment, methyglyn or a melomel until after this batch and i know i have a good base.

since i brew beer also a braggot will not be to hard but not this time.

and i will not have fresh mullberries; both black and white, till spring.

i would go a traditional as u dare.. maybe a little orange zest to bring out the citris in the honey but not much more than that.

t.

Jason

Charlie Mops wannabe
Staff member
I'm there as well, newbee time. I've decided to make a mead But I'm not sure which one I should make. I have an orange blossom honey bee keeper for a neighbor. What variety ( melomel,braggot,pyment etc.) is most widely enjoyed. It would be a shame to put forth the effort and make something nobody liked. What is your favorite?
I had a very good, well great, vanilla cinnamon mead once. I wish I could have gotten the recipe. But I tend to make mine sweet or semi-sweet as that is what the wife likes. She actually loves my blueberry mead. She refuses to give any more bottles away until I make some more.

I would make a basic, biased off of what you like. Sweet, semi, dry, wine type. From there I would venture into other things you like. For me it is blueberries. The wife happens to like them too, which helps.

Terrence

did a test on the mead.. much less in the snot ball feel while testing .. now its just slimy.. lol...

another 2 or 3 weeks and i think it will be ready to clear..

but its at about 7% abv right now.. should end up about 11% all and all ..

Wild Child

Mmmmmmm...mead! Sounds really good. I read an interesting story with the setting being a brewing contest at a bar. It was a story by Jim Butcher with his character Dresden. It was really great and it really interested me in mead since I've never tried it. Sounds like you guys have the process down.

Terrence

not at all..

like i said .. just a mead noob...

but like anyother brewing... if it is your first try.. the most basic recipe ... do you research and know the basics .. and i can never stress enought.. test and taste.. test and taste... test and taste till you know what is going on....

i found out that i will never test mead in the first 1 and half months of the ferm. it is a big slime ball no good.. but now 2 mnths in all good. ...

try it and have fun..

Terrence

ok .. another question.

the mead started around 1.083 og. now its is about 1.010. them mead still has a heavy feel. will this clear up once i clarify the mead and kill the yeast??

thnks

wild

Depending on the type of yeast that you used, it could still be active and bring your FG down 0. Why will you be killing off the yeast? Are you wanting to back sweeten? If you want a dry yeast, just let it finish out.

Terrence

i used a dry yeast... lalvin 1118 champagne yeast. i bloomed the yeast first. i was hoping it would be done by christmas.

i am going to sweeten once i clear the mead. i am assuming you use the same methods as you do wine.

and i am trying to get the fg as low as possible.

t.

wild

I can't see it being done by Christmas especially if you want it clear. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Terrence

ok.. i have another question.. sorry about all the wining..

the mead is at 1.0000... its not clear... it has a really good sweet and kind of spicy alcohol taste..

i would not mind serving it all though it still has a slimy feel to the mead..

how do i get it to have the mouth feel of wine or even a heavy beer.. :)

thanks for all your help ..

Bobbie

Mead is a very old drink. People have been brewing it for centuries. The monks of the early middle ages thought it had healing powers and people who were ill were given mead to help them heal. Sounds good to me.

wild

ok.. i have another question.. sorry about all the wining..

the mead is at 1.0000... its not clear... it has a really good sweet and kind of spicy alcohol taste..

i would not mind serving it all though it still has a slimy feel to the mead..

how do i get it to have the mouth feel of wine or even a heavy beer.. :)

thanks for all your help ..
When it comes to mead, time heals most all problems.

Terrence

did another test.. the mead was down to .999... as low as it is going to go.. and it does look as though it will begin to clear a bit... cant wait...

time does heal most problems..