MEAD some help (lol im punny)

hello all im a brewing noob. like seriously my brewing experience consists of leaving a bottle of apple juice in the car to long. but i live in a area with very few liquor stores and im a huge mead fan. can anyone tell me how to make mead effectively and cost efficiently( have none of the tools ) i just want a basic simple recipe and instructions please. any tips would also be helpful. im looking to start a few different types of brews and seeing what works best and gives the least trouble

wild

Welcome to the forum evilmanikin.
Mead is by far the easiest to make but is the hardest to endure because it takes time. The easiest mead to make is called traditional. Honey, water, and yeast. The question is, do you want sweet, semi-sweet, or dry mead? Heat water to 180°F, mix in honey and keep the temp for ten minutes to
sanitize the water. Cool to 70°F, put in fermenter, pitch yeast. Wait a month, rack to secondary (don't forget to taste it) wait a few more months and taste it again. Repeat until you are happy or you run out (which ever comes first). Bottle and enjoy.
That is as basic as I can get without knowing what kind of mead you want. There are a lot of recipes available to you.

wild

When deciding the variety of honey to use for a mead, two questions arise; 1. What is avaiable for purchase and 2. What flavor profile would work best for what I want to make?
There are so many honey varieties to choose from and too many to list here. Try this link for a more comprehensive look at several varieties.

When deciding the variety of honey to use for a mead, two questions arise; 1. What is avaiable for purchase and 2. What flavor profile would work best for what I want to make?
There are so many honey varieties to choose from and too many to list here. Try this for a more comprehensive look at several varieties.
That link was pretty helpful im looking for a rich taste from the descriptions im thinking maybe avocado? anyone have any experience with that variety? im looking for a thick rich taste, more like a beer consistency then a delicate wine but not overpowering i want it to be drinkable. any ideas

wild

That link was pretty helpful im looking for a rich taste from the descriptions im thinking maybe avocado? anyone have any experience with that variety? im looking for a thick rich taste, more like a beer consistency then a delicate wine but not overpowering i want it to be drinkable. any ideas
Be careful with Avocado, after a while the flavor will resemble dirt. Mead doesn't have the consistency of beer, it more resembles wine. Try a bottle from a local meadery or beer/wine store.

i have had mead and i like it but i hear stories of vikings drinking mead instead of beer and its hard to imagine vikings drinking wine lol. so is what you get from the store what to expect from a homebrewed mead ?

wild

Homebrewers have the luxury of being able to toss anything they want into their brew in order to create the taste they have in mind. Meaderies will brew more traditional styles to please the masses. Similar to most beer breweries/pubs having the same basic 4 or 5 brews on tap. As for the Vikings, I'm sure that their brew would have a slightly lower ABV and would have whatever ingredients that were available to them in their region.

Terrence

if you read my post Beer Noob.. i kept some what of a running post on the feel of the mead durning the process.

it will never quite have the feel of beer.. with the honey and yeast in suspension it has more of a syrupy or gloppy feel when it is fermenting..(not to say once it gets higher in the abv it wont do the job) but its a really funny feel...

even mine that is completed and has been cleared. it still has a heaver feel than what i get at the local beer/wine store. the bigger meaderies will do an extra filtration to really get it to more of a wine consitancy.

good luck and have fun..

t.

i have tried a simple one gallon mead that got good reviews. i will see how it turns out i did it like this.
ingredients
1 gallon jug of water
3 pounds of honey
fliechmanns baking yeast
one orange
25 raisins
1 cinnamon stick
and 2 cloves

i emptied half the water out and added all the ingredients it looks like it did in the pictures and smells ok so far
i made sure to only use the filtered water as i didn't want to add any tap water chemicals i wasn't sure if that would adversely effect the yeast . capped it with a balloon with a hole poked in it. lets hope it turns out well
i used 1 pound avocado 2 pounds clover in hopes that it mellows out any dirt taste. any thoughts?

hmmm well my mead appears to be coming along it has stopped bubbling as fiercely. there is now a thin layer of brown gunk at the bottom of the bottle is that normal?

wild

It's called trub (troob) and it is composed mainly of heavy fats, proteins and inactive yeast. Yes, it is normal.

wild

Oh, they're not lazy. They're the hardest workers of the bunch. They've already eaten their fill of sugar and created all the CO2 and alcohol they could muster. The slower workers keep trudging along, continuing to finish off the honey.

thinking about puting a second batch together with a different recipe to keep them brewing every month or so. hoping to have some done by Christmas is this reasonable? or will the mead still be to young?

wild

It depends, how high do you want the ABV? You might get a small mead done in time. Small in alcohol, not in batch size like ABV 8-10%. Using plenty of nutrient like Fermax and a yeast like DV10 will get the mead to clear faster.

well it moved my mead to a new container to help it clarify faster and took the liberty of trying it.. i must say its quite good. very close in taste to chaucers but with a more cinnamon taste. if the taste keeps up it should be rather delicious when its done.