Mead??

Brandy

I have never heard of "mead" until joining this forum site recently. What exactly is mead? What makes it different from other common fermented brews?

wild

Mead or honey wine is considered one of the first fermented beverages. A traditional mead is made with 3 ingredients; water, honey, and yeast. Other types of meads come from the addition of fruits, spices, and the like. There are several websites devoted to the beverage as well as several meaderies around the nation. Stop by a local wine store and pick up a sample.

Brandy

It sounds wonderful. It must be really good if it is one of the first fermented beverages, as it has obviously stood the test of time. Thanks for the info. I'll be sampling some soon!

samantha1

I have never heard about that! It sounds interesting, I have to try it! We don't have such beverage in Bulgaria. I have to find it in internet :)

Pat

I have only heard of Mead on the old english type movies. It seems it is a fermented drink made with fruit and honey? I will see what my wine store has in that arena.

wild

I have only heard of Mead on the old english type movies. It seems it is a fermented drink made with fruit and honey? I will see what my wine store has in that arena.
Traditional Meads are honey, water, and yeast. Melomels are fruit meads such as cysers (made with apples) pyments (made with grapes) or other fruits. Metheglin meads are made with spices.

I mead harmful at all? I have never heard of it either until I joined here. Also is this easy to make or is it nearly impossible like some of the other items I have tried to make in the past?

wild

I mead harmful at all? I have never heard of it either until I joined here. Also is this easy to make or is it nearly impossible like some of the other items I have tried to make in the past?
Only if you drink too much of it. It's high in alcohol and easy to drink so drink moderately. Mead is about the easiest brew to make.

Jason

Charlie Mops wannabe
Staff member
Only if you drink too much of it. It's high in alcohol and easy to drink so drink moderately. Mead is about the easiest brew to make.
I've known a few who did not realize that the ABV is higher then beer. Funny watching them try and stand up.

PontusEuxinus

Whenever I drink mead I feel like a viking. Makes me want to sharpen my broadsword and set out to destroy some orcs and other creatures that inhabit the deep woods. Drink responsibly.

only way i think it would work in the viking way is to mix 1 part mead 1 part vodka 3 parts dirt lol mead is a very un viking like drink

Jason

Charlie Mops wannabe
Staff member
I had a recipe for a viking style mead, but sadly I cannot find it. One thing I wish I could find to give it a shot. I'm sure there are a few out there on google though. But like wild said, it is very Viking like.