Muscato?

corked

A friend of mine has challenged me to make a muscato wine and naturally, I had to take the bait. Small problem though - what the heck is muscato? I've never heard of it.

HelenWheels

I like Muscato wine, but a lot of people find it too sweet for their tastes. It's usually used as a dessert wine. The muscat is a kind of grape. It's a dark grape and mainly used for raisins, I believe.

masksis

Oh, Muscato is a very delicious and smooth wine. It's sweet as HelenWheels stated above. I have never tried a homemade version, only store bought. It is the wine for people that don't like wine, or so I like to think anyways. I know several people that it is the only type of wine that they like. Some people don't like it because of the sweetness, but I really like it. It's not a sickly sweet, but more like a sugar drink sweet, if that makes sense.

HelenWheels

I have a friend that adds ginger ale to her glass of muscato to cut the sweetness (and alcohol content) and it becomes more like a wine cooler. It's actually pretty good.

Moscato is something I drank when I was just learning to drink. Today it is definitely too sweet for my taste. I might entertain a glass with desert but that's about all. Good luck corked. Let us know how yours turns out.

carolyn

Is Muscato wine the same thing as Moscato wine? I have had Moscato wine several times and it is one of my favorites, but it is best served as a dessert wine.

corked

Carolyn, it could be the same thing. I spelled it the way my friend said it, so I probably have it wrong. I guess I better go find a bottle and give it a try, before I even think about trying to make it. Since it uses special grapes, I may not even have the ability to try making it.

HelenWheels

I think the confusion is because Moscato is made from Muscat grapes. I don't know why the difference in spelling exists between the wine and the grape. I just looked it up to find out for sure.