Need a recommendation

HelenWheels

I am invited to a dinner party and I hate to show up empty-handed. I would like to bring a nice bottle of wine.

The meal will be Cajun inspired with spicy seafood gumbo and cornbread as the main feature. I know white wine is generally the route to take for seafood, but this is a heavier, highly seasoned dish.

What type of wine should I bring?

Jude

I would either choose an nice rose which is always safe or take a bottle each of white and red. This is a heavy meal and red would be perfectly fine to serve. Could you call the hostess and ask which she would prefer? That's always the safest way.

HelenWheels

I would ask but it would spoil the surprise. Besides, she isn't very knowledgeable about wines.

What about a cognac or brandy? Would that be too heavy?

brewgal

I would probably go with a nice red wine since the meal is going to be spicy. Typically you wouldn't serve cognac or brandy until after the meal was over.

HelenWheels

That's what I was thinking. Since I really was uncertain what would go best for everyone's taste during the meal, that maybe something for after the meal would be appreciated. So, that's what I did. Everyone enjoyed the after dinner drinks as we sat outside at the patio table. It was nice.