New soil

melli

We dumped a bunch of new soil into our garden in the off season. I hope it helps this year. Last year a lot of our plants died early on because they got some kind of disease. Has anyone done this before? Did it help?

Jason

Charlie Mops wannabe
Staff member
One I first moved in I dumped about 2 inches of clean top soil into my garden. It seemed to work pretty well. Sadly right now with lack of time in the garden it is pretty full of weeds.

melli

So far Jason the plants are looking pretty good. They always seem to start off okay though and then within a month of producing they get brown and die. I hope this new soil is going to work!

oldieg

How did the new soil work out? My hubby was talking about changing our soil in part of the garden (where the tomatoes are). I think it is a lot of work but am willing to do it if it works.

HelenWheels

Every year before planting anything we always use the rototiller to turn and loosen the soil and add some new dirt to the mix. It works out well because then it breaks up all the mulch we put around the plants during the growing season. That is a good time to add in whatever you use to fertilize.

corked

Whether it helps or not depends a lot on how bad the soil is where you are. A couple of inches of topsoil won't help much in many cases, because the roots are down below that, still in the bad soil. The best thing to do would be to dig up and remove a foot or two of the old soil and replace it all with a mix of new soil and some manure, or other fertilizer.

melli

Yeah it didn't work. The plants got something and died too early. We are thinking of removing about 3 feet of dirt/soil and then replacing it with new.

oldieg

That stinks. I wonder how far in the ground the roots grow. That is probably how much soil you would need to remove. How many years have your plants died off too soon?

First, i would have your soil tested. check the PH. just replacing the soil may not work .. garden soil needs nutrients. find
a horse farm that you can get manure. horse poop will build up the humus. a shart load of cow manure will be the topper.
till the bejeezaws out of it, then watch the results. just my $.02 ... ;)

StevenJ

I always dig my hole for the plants, set them in it and then fill the hole with a little Miracle Gro organic. I have never had any problems with my plants getting sick. They actually grow like crazy. Maybe you could try doing something like that?