No Dehydrator

ciderchic

Can I dehydrate food without a dedicated dehydrator? The only food I really want to dehydrate is bananas, so I don't really see a point in buying an expensive dehydrator just for that. Could I just do it in the oven, or no?

Be careful when trying to dehydrate things like herbs and the like in the oven; it will burn and lose it's potency.

As of the bananas, you made banana chips by using an oven to dehydrate the bananas? How did you do this?

You can use your oven on the lowest setting but it will take a long time to dehydrate food in the oven. It could be as long as 12-24 hours.

Sandy

Be careful to check what your lowest setting on your oven actually is. There are some things we cannot prepare properly because our oven won't go low enough. Our last oven did reach those low temperatures. This one does not.

Sandy is completely correct. I think that may have been how I massacred some of the dried items I was trying to prepare. You don't want to scorch anything.

ciderchic

Wreckthehalls - Thanks for that link. I'm starting to think I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a dehydrator, because, like Sandy pointed out, our oven won't drop down to 140 degrees. If anyone here knows about a good deal on a dehydrator, I would love to hear it!

brewgal

If you have a Freecycle group in your area try posting on there that you would like a dehydrator. I got my first one on there for free and it still works great. That way you can see how much you will actually use it before spending any money.

ciderchic

Brewgal - What's a Freecycle group? Is Freecycle similar to Craiglist? Do they have a website I could check out? I would much rather get a used dehydrator for free than pay a ton of money for one that I end up using only once every 6 months or something!

BrewJen

Freecycle is like Craigslist except that everything is free (hence the name). You can put up a "wanted" ad in your local group and see what happens.

ciderchic

Thanks for the explanation, BrewJen. I'll definitely check that out. There are a few other items I am in need of, including Mason jars and whatnot for canning. Hopefully I'll have some luck with it!