Not Enough Of Anything

RobertMcC

We had some things from the garden that we didn't have enough of to can by itself. So my wife and I took cucumbers, carrots, cabbage, onions, and green peppers and shredded it all up. We put it us with a recipe for bread and butter pickles and it is delicious!! We wound up with several jars-enough to fill the canner. I think this is going to be delicious with pinto beans and corn bread!

Sounds wonderful. Glad you were able to take what you have and make something great from it. I love a good relish with a pot of beans and a cake of cornbread. Just call me "from the south."

SandyLynn

You know I wouldn't have thought to do that. It does sound like it will be really good and how nice to have come up with something so clever. No waste for you guys!

SecondCup

Wow! That was an incredible idea. It just shows that something really nice can come out from a spark of ingenuity and the desire to make most of what seems like "leftovers".

clarkdart

As long as you are not pitching anything out then its a plus. Too many people waste foods now and if you can get a little creative it cuts down on the waste of both food and the money spent on it. Good work!

RobertMcC

It's delicious! I've already opened a jar and it's so good. I love bread and butter pickles anyway, so this is good. My wife calls it "End Of The Garden" mixed pickles. I think we may have to make this a regular item we make every year.

Felix

When this happens to me, I wait and let circumstances tell me what I will try canning or freezing. I never know when a friend or farmer will offer to give me a rock-bottom price on produce. That's when I take all I can get and figure out the best way to preserve it.

Cornelia

That really sounds good Robert and how creative. I would never have thought to do this but it does sound like it would be really good.

BrewJen

That was smart! I wouldn't have thought to mix them all together like that but it does sound good. I'm glad you are enjoying them.

clarkdart

"End Of The Garden" or a pot luck medley, either way it sounds awesome. I remember years ago my sister would always pitch stuff out and I never understood why, her answer was "I never know what to do with it". I showed her a few ways to put a spin on things and every year since brings a few extra's over to our house as a thank you gift since she is no longer wasting.

I will have to keep this in mind for all my scraps next year. I had a lot of little extras like banana peppers, zucchini and the like that I didn't quite have enough of. They probably would have made a great mix like this.

clarkdart

I bet if more people knew about simple things like this there would be less waste all around. Just thinking of the little things do add up very quick!

Felix

This is a great idea. It's kind of a pickled relish, isn't it? Another thing we do is to shop the farmer's market to fill in where we're short. The prices are usually good, too.

Georgie

That's an interesting way to use up bits and pieces. I usually make a soup out of vegetables that I have lying around, before they reach the stage where they aren't fit to eat, but this is yet another idea for me to bear in mind.

clarkdart

Not sure I would add in the relish myself since the kids and I do not like it, but I would go all out with spices. The ideas are endless but at least I am a very good taste tester!

Way to improvise! Our garden wasn't as productive as I would have hoped, but we still manage to get a lot from it. I think it's cool how you just came up with making pickles with what you had !