Peppers in Vinegar

Jude

I'm over run with peppers this year so we are cutting them up and putting them in vinegar. They're great on nachos in the winter time and there's just something about knowing they came from your garden. I don't try to can them, rather keep them in the refrigerator. Have you ever done this?

oldieg

I have not. How long do they last in the fridge? What does the vinegar do to the peppers? I have put cucumbers in vinegar before. I love the flavor of the cucumbers after they have soaked for an hour.

Jude

They do pick up a vinegar taste over time oldieg but they're great on nachos and in most mexican dishes. We've already been through about half the jar so I'm sure they are not going to last long. :)

carolyn

I haven't done this before, but since I still have a ton of jalapenos in the garden I think I am going to give it a try. We usually buy them in vinegar to use in Mexican dishes anyway.

lab22

Jude, you could roast them in the oven or on a grill until the skins are almost black and they soften. Then you peel them (skin usually comes off easy), seed them and put them in freezer bags. We do this every year since my in-laws have such a large garden they get two to three bushels of peppers. They taste great on anything. I add a little olive oil and garlic powder to them when I'm ready to eat them.

brewgal

I wish I had thought about doing this before I dehydrated all of our hot peppers this year! I will definitely try and remember to do this when the garden comes in next year.