Pickled Corn On The Cob

RobertMcC

I remember when my mother used to make pickled corn on the cob. She would wash and sterilize the crock which was mid thigh high, boil the liquid and the corn, then you placed both in the crock with a large plate on top to weight it down in the crock. Man! That pickled corn was so good you couldn't stop eating it. We used to sneak down to the basement and grab a cob of it and take off back around the house. If Mom found out we had been in the pickled corn, we got in big trouble! When you had more corn ready you just used the same brine and added the new corn. When it was good and pickled, if we hadn't eaten it all, she would cut it off of the cob and can it. Wasn't anything better than pickled corn for supper when the snow was flying.

SandyLynn

Well it sounds like it must of be very good with risking the wrath of Mom to sneak some to eat. :) I've never had any myself so can't really say. Doesn't sound like it was real hard to do.

BrewJen

That is interesting. I grew up in Iowa, the land of corn, and have never heard of pickled corn. We always just ate our corn on the cob boiled or grilled.

I've not heard of pickled corn either. The process you describe reminds me of making sour kraut. Do you have a recipe for this? We would love to see it. Thanks!

Felix

Pickled corn is a new one for me, too. We do eat a lot of vinegar-based items in our household, so we would love to try it.

melli

Very interesting! We freeze our corn on the cob but this sounds pretty cool. Maybe we will give it a try next year. I would love to see a recipe too. I loved hearing your story by the way!

RobertMcC

I'll do my best to look in Mom's old cookbook and post the recipe. It was delicious especially if you opened a jar, drained it, washed it and then put it in a skillet with some bacon grease. Lightly saute it and it was sooo good!!

Lars

I would love to try pickled corn. The recipe where you saute it in the bacon grease sounds like heaven in a frying pan. I have one of those old black cast iron ones my grandpa had. I do hope you find the recipe!

FrostyMug

I've heard of pickled corn on the cob using sugar and vinegar, but I don't know the exact ingredients. Please post if you find the recipe. It sure sounds good, and I Iove anything that involves vinegar!