Pickled Okra

ciderchic

I love pickled okra! In fact, I like pickled okra more than I like pickles. The only problem is, they're kind of expensive. A small jar of pickled okra can cost more than a large jar of pickles. To solve that problem, I was thinking of pickling some okra myself when we grow it in the garden this year. Anyone here done this before? Any tips?

Glad to meet a fellow okra pickle lover! Although I'm a country girl, pickles were one thing I could never master. I tried many times and ended up having to throw them all away. Now I just buy mine in the grocery store. My mom makes the best okra pickles ever. I could eat the whole jar if I let myself. I'll try to get her recipe for you.

ciderchic

Hi, HappyHoney! I'm glad to meet a fellow pickled okra lover, myself. Everyone in the family thinks I'm crazy, but like you, I could eat a whole of pickled okra in a single sitting. I'd love to try that recipe out if your mom is willing to share it!

ILoveCoffee

I am big on vegetables. Okra isn't one of my favorites veggies though. It actually tastes good, but I find it too slimy. This explains why I have never tried pickled okra.

FrostyMug

I love pickled okra! In fact, I like pickled okra more than I like pickles. The only problem is, they're kind of expensive. A small jar of pickled okra can cost more than a large jar of pickles. To solve that problem, I was thinking of pickling some okra myself when we grow it in the garden this year. Anyone here done this before? Any tips?
Make sure you hand pick each pod. Pick them to be young and tender, and no longer than the depth of a pint jar. Pickled okra is a fantastic addition to antipasto platter too. Also, with any leftovers I will cover them with cornmeal and fry them up.

I don't know how you feel about slimy okra, but they can be de-slimed so this may be one tip for you also. Just fill a big bowl with 1 quart of water and 1 cup cider vinegar and let them soak for one hour. Then drain the okra and pat them dry with a paper towel. Then continue on to prepare them as you would like.

polistimo

Okra isn't a vegetable that is common where I live, though I used to be able to get it from the West Indian shops when I lived in the city. I loved it in curries, but I too find it too slimy when cooked on it's own.

ciderchic

Make sure you hand pick each pod. Pick them to be young and tender, and no longer than the depth of a pint jar. Pickled okra is a fantastic addition to antipasto platter too. Also, with any leftovers I will cover them with cornmeal and fry them up.

I don't know how you feel about slimy okra, but they can be de-slimed so this may be one tip for you also. Just fill a big bowl with 1 quart of water and 1 cup cider vinegar and let them soak for one hour. Then drain the okra and pat them dry with a paper towel. Then continue on to prepare them as you would like.
Thanks for all the advice, FrostyMug! I grew okra a couple of years ago and I think the first mistake I made was not harvesting frequently enough, as the okra I picked were always rather large, usually the length of the palm of my hand or sometime even longer. When I grow them this go round I will definitely harvest daily so I can get to them sooner, before they grow too large.

Thanks also for the tip about de-sliming them; I hate, hate, hate slimy okra!!