prep around storage

clarkdart

I am not sure how it happened but we managed to get ants in the house. I caught them this morning near the sugar bowl when settling my breakfast before work. We called to have someone come out but it got me thinking. How are others keeps pests like this away from what you store? Is there a natural repellent we can use both inside and outside of the house plus in our storage areas?

I had a run of the pesky little things myself this year. There is a product called Terro that I keep on hand at all times. You just put a little on a cotton ball, the ants feed on this and take it back to the nest. Usually within a day or two, no more ants. You can get this at most any hardware store.

clarkdart

I think that is somewhat close to what the guy said when he came out today, they laid out some glue. It looks clear and sticky so I am not sure of the name but hopefully it does the trick. I really hate the idea of trying to bomb the house, plus the kids would freak out. Our little girl even hates seeing a bug outdoors, if she sees something in the house I will have to peel her off the ceiling.

Jenks

We use a spray that we got from a friend. We just need to spray it around the perimeter of the house a couple of times a year. It keeps out everything too. We never have a single bug in the house these days.

brewbaby

I don't worry about my storage area as I keep all of my stockpile in either the original containers (cans, jars) or I put the item in airtight containers myself. The only thing that could get in would be mice and we don't have mice. We keep everything sealed so they can't get in.

clarkdart

I have tried a few of the ones you can pick up from stores but I never know nearly enough about what is in them. We need to make sure the stuff is safe for us and the pets, plus it does not end up pealing paint. We tried some brand years ago on the outside of the house and it actually changed the color of the brick work. I was not impressed. :eek: