Reprocess if lid does not seal

DIY-Mom

Every once in a while I find that a lid does not seal on one of the jars after I canned food. The good news is that food can still be processed if done within 24 hours. All you have to do is to remove the contents of the jar and proceed as if still fresh, but use a new lid when sealing it again. I would however recommend that you use this jar first as the quality may not be as high when reprocessed.

BrewJen

I didn't know you could do that. Do you normally discover unsealed lids within that time frame? How did you know the seal wasn't right?

brewgal

Every so often you will find a lid that doesn't seal well. Brewjen, I usually check mine before I put them away so I do find them within that 24 hour window.

oldieg

I have tried this and it never worked for me. I always clean the top of the jar and use a new lid. I have never had one seal on the second time around.

DIY-Mom

When I first started processing food, I did not check the lids when storing the jars away. I could never understand how the food in one or two jars of the same batch of processed food could taste 'off' while the others were perfect. It was only when I started checking the lids that I realized it was not because of my cooking, but due to lids not sealing. :D