Reusing pickle juice

HelenWheels

I usually keep a jar of pickle juice in the refrigerator and use a splash when I make potato, macaroni, tuna, or egg salads. I was thinking it may be good to add to salad dressings too.

Does anyone else have any ideas for reusing pickle juice?

What a great idea Helen. I usually just pour mine down the drain or one of the kids will drink it. I know. Ewewewe! I don't know why they like to drink the stuff but they do. I'll save it from now on and use it in cooking. Thanks for the suggestion.

corked

We put hard-boiled eggs in the leftover juice (dill or sour pickles, at least). Leave them in there for a day and you have a fast pickled egg. I do use a bit of sweet pickle juice when making up a tuna salad, too.

masksis

It can be used for brine just about anything from eggs to veggies. It works great as a meat tenderizer or give a little extra flavor to fish. It's also good for meatloaf and barbecue sauce. Or you can always use it to kill weeds...

BrewJen

I have never reused pickle juice but I love the idea of adding it to chicken or tuna salad. It would replace the relish I often use.

How does pickle juice kill weeds?

HelenWheels

I use the leftover pickling juice from jarred jalapenos also. That adds a nice little bit of spice to things. That's what I usually add to my barbecue sauce, but not too much, I don't want it too vinegary.

Oh, and HappyHoney, when we were kids, I had a cousin that would drink the pickle juice too. I never knew why she did that. She always smelled like pickles. Haha!

I use it the same ways that you do. It would be nice to have more uses for it though because my husband goes through pickles like nobody's business. I end up tossing quite a bit of it down the sink.

HelenWheels

Since it is basically just garlic and dill seasoned vinegar, I have thought about adding oil, minced onion, maybe some basil and a few other seasonings and blending it up to see how it comes out as a salad dressing.

melli

That is a great idea! I have never kept it to use in anything. I bet my salads would be amazing with a splash of pickle juice. I am going to add it to tuna to see if I like it.

oldieg

I have done this before. I add it to egg salad. I like to cut up pickles and add those too. Sometimes I just use the homemade relish. I have never added the pickle juice to a salad before. I should try this.

HelenWheels

It is particularly good for macaroni salad. The noodles seem to absorb the juice after it sets in the fridge for an hour or two and it adds a great bit of flavor. Be careful of adding extra salt before tasting, though, because the pickle juice is already very salty. :)

clarkdart

I know you can clean pots and pans with it if they are copper. My mother would toss the juice on her rose bushes too. Other than that I am not really sure. Can you clean anything with pickle juice?

HelenWheels

I'm not sure. I imagine the vinegar in it would make for a good cleaner, but with all that salt... I'd be careful what I used it on.

Georgie

There are some great ideas floating around here. I must admit that it never occurred to me to use it for anything apart from pickling. I have boiled some beetroot and sliced it into old pickle juice but that's about it!

carolyn

I must admit I have never used pickle juice for cooking, but I will definitely give it a try. I have just recently started saving it for my hubby though. You can chug a little pickle juice if you have leg cramps and it will help them stop.

brewgal

I have never used pickle juice for coking either, but I must admit that it is a really good idea. Next time we finish the pickles I will be sure to save the juice!

HelenWheels

I wouldn't drink too much of it since it's pretty salty. Makes me pucker just thinking about it. :p

I am trying an experiment. I had to slice an onion for something else I was cooking and I sliced too much. I hate to waste food so I popped the sliced onion into the pickle juice jar. I'll see if it picked up any of the flavor in the next day or two. I think it will be good diced and used in other dishes.