Round one of corn done

oldieg

Last night my family froze 20 dozen ears of corn. The kids husked all of it. My hubby and I blanched it and then cut it off the cob. The kids and I bagged it up. Family bonding time and we got a lot of work done. Round two is later this week.

Jude

This brings back lots of memories oldieg. We used to do the same thing when I was a kid only we canned it rather than froze it. We also had cows that loved to eat the shucks. Ah! Such sweet memories.

HelenWheels

I remember when we would go down to the farmer's produce stand and buy a dozen ears for a dollar. My grandmother and I would sit on the back steps shucking corn and laughing. When we were done, then would come my reward for helping. She would show me how to make different little dolls from the husks and tie them together with the corn silk. Nice memories.

oldieg

Awesome memories. I have never done anything with the husks. We just toss them back into the garden. Our corn is all done now. We ended up freezing about 50 bags! I love corn in the winter.

HelenWheels

Fifty bags of corn? Holy Toledo! Have you ever made corn fritters? Those are delicious!

I found this short and sweet little video with a girl showing an easy way to make corn husk dolls.

BrewJen

I make a corn husk doll every August, but I just use string instead of corn silk. It's never a thing of beauty but I like to do it.

brewgal

I had never seen a corn husk doll before so that was really neat! Oldieg did you guys grow the corn or did you just buy a mountain of it?