Safety

Lars

My friend uses various bottles he finds to bottle his own stuff. He claims to have washed it well, but for the life of me I can't see how he can get inside bottles to get them cleaned. How do others clean their bottles, especially ones they buy second-hand? I am averse to germs.

rayne

Good point Lars. There are enumerous sizes of bottle brushes out there that he could use and I hope he does. I also hope he boils them in water to sterilize them before he bottles. Why don't you ask him on the pretense that you might be interested in doing the same thing? A good way to find out and not offend.

wild

Good soaks in PBW, OneStep, or Lye/Phosphoric acid will clean anything within an inch of its life.

Snyder

We do a combination of the sanitizing powder that comes with brewing kits, liberal amounts of hot water, and a trip through the dishwasher. Our beer tastes great, and there has been no sickness so far!

clarkdart

That is something that freaked me out a little too. Heck I even keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer in the car just in case. I heard that phosphoric acid is the strongest on the market, is that really true?

James Dean

You can just buy bottle cleaners from walmart or in savemore. I do think they have different sizes on them. Or you could even invent your own.

Renzaku

I would usually just clean my bottles by just throwing them in the dishwasher or by boiling them in a large pot for a little while. I've really never had any problems with bacteria or any other safety issues when brewing (I haven't really been doing it for all that long yet though). Isn't it kind of bad to use chemical cleaners on them though, since there could be some left over residue/chemicals after using them?

wild

With the use of any of the heavy duty cleansers, a thorough rinse with water is needed before sanitizing.

makingloot

Good point Lars. There are enumerous sizes of bottle brushes out there that he could use and I hope he does. I also hope he boils them in water to sterilize them before he bottles. That is something that freaked me out a little too. Heck I even keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer in the car just in case.

clarkdart

I doubt I would try to make my own because I would always second guess myself. The other thing is I heard that a double rinse is always better before you sanitize too. I wonder if people just say that who are over eager when it comes to germs.

I worry about the lids, too and am not always sure what the lids are made of on jars you pick up at various places. Also, what has been stored inside these jars? I'm going to err on the side of caution and get new ones, or at least my old ones whose history I know.