Sanitized Handling

BrewJen

After you sanitize something, how do you handle and store it to ensure it remains sanitary? Do you sanitize tongs and just use those for handling? Do you use the sanitized equipment immediately before it has a chance to collect any bacteria?

wild

I wash when I put equipment away and sanitize before its use. While brewing, I keep a tray or bucket and a sprayer full of sanitizer to use for tools.

porker

I do the same more or less, just wash stuff to store and then when I'm brewing, I use a solution that I can leave the utensils in until they needed. I'm probably not as fastidious as I should be however.

BrewJen

Thanks you guys. I will start keeping utensils in solution until necessary. I was afraid that if I sanitized something and then left it out to dry that bacteria would start collecting immediately.

Tecca_Nina

Personally I sanitize the tongs and then use them for handling as you said. I probably should take a next step to be even more sanitary though. Keeping all the equipment in solution is a good idea.

I do the same thing when I am doing with anything that requires it to be sanitized. So I do not have to be concerned about it building up bacteria or other items while stored. You never know what kind of spiders or other insects can creep into the equipment.

wineywiney

After you sanitize something, how do you handle and store it to ensure it remains sanitary? Do you sanitize tongs and just use those for handling? Do you use the sanitized equipment immediately before it has a chance to collect any bacteria?
Ha I'm glad I clicked on this thread. I am probably the most Obsessive Compulsive person that you'll never meet in your life. I usually scald all of my utensils and brew tools with hot water, then hang them out to dry. And finally I sometimes wrap some paper towel around them.

Tecca_Nina

I do the same thing when I am doing with anything that requires it to be sanitized. So I do not have to be concerned about it building up bacteria or other items while stored. You never know what kind of spiders or other insects can creep into the equipment.
Ugh, don't even say that. I absolutely hate spiders. :( :shocked: The thought that they can be made on my equipment makes me never want to use it, EVER. :p

makingloot

I do the same more or less, just wash stuff to store and then when I'm brewing, I use a solution that I can leave the utensils in until they needed. I'm probably not as fastidious as I should be however. Thanks you guys. I will start keeping utensils in solution until necessary. I was afraid that if I sanitized something and then left it out to dry that bacteria would start collecting immediately.

melli

I don't sanitize it until I use it. I do wash everything but I can't see any sense in sanitizing it if I'm just storing it. Nothing stays sanitized when it's stored.

Waynefire

I always wash the items after I have finished using them. However, before I go to use anything the next time I would sanitize it. Then you do not have to be concerned about any bacteria growing after you have already sanitized it and put it up for the year.

Felix

One thing I like to do is have lots of rubber gloves around. I picked up a dozen packages not long ago really cheap. I keep a sanitized pair for handling things I use in canning or preparing anything that needs sterilization.

wild

One thing I like to do is have lots of rubber gloves around. I picked up a dozen packages not long ago really cheap. I keep a sanitized pair for handling things I use in canning or preparing anything that needs sterilization.
Do you wear the little hat and mask too? :D
OTOH, it would be a great way to get the playmate into a candy-stripper's outfit.

Felix

If I know I'm going to be storing something for a long time, I clean it well and wrap it in a transparent plastic bag. I seal it with a twist tie. At least the dust doesn't accumulate, and I don't have to wash it when I'm ready to use it.

RobertMcC

The gloves they sell in the store, aren't sterile, just clean. As long as you scald or sterilize the equipment before you use it, it should be fine. My wife and I can a lot of stuff during the summer and we've never had any problems with our canned goods. If you are going to store it, there is no reason to sterilize it before storing it.