Shipping what you make?

clarkdart

I know that sometimes those aboard in the military receive home baked goods but how exactly do you ship what you make? Even if you are making something that has already been dehydrated how do you package it?

HelenWheels

I've never shipped anything overseas but I have shipped things across country and also to Canada. For food items I usually double bag everything in Ziplocs and then tape bubble wrap around it. I make sure the box isn't too large for the items so things don't shift around too much and fill in the rest of the spaces in the box with either more bubble wrap or newspaper.

Allhops

I second that emotion too Helen. You really have to fill the box so whatever you are shipping, doesn't shift around and get bopped all around during the transit. We like using air bags like Amazon does. Less messy than Styrofoam peanuts.

I just found out that it doesn't matter how good you fill the box. I mailed a box with presents and cookies and when it arrived the box had been ripped open by the post office's sorting machines.

brewgal

I have never tried shipping anything like that, but I think I would put cookies and baked goods in a tin. Then I would put the airbags like Allhops mentioned in there.

clarkdart

We paid for gift wrapping over the holidays for non-baked goods and they were still tore up when our friends received their gifts. I was thinking when it comes to drinks or even baked goods the packaging would have to be extreme.

HelenWheels

I would check with the post office before trying to ship anything with liquid. The last few times I shipped a package, that was one of the first thing they asked me.