shredded chicken

clarkdart

What is the best way to preserve this if we are planning to shred it? Does it actually matter the way it is prepped or can I just toss it in the freezer with sauces already marinated in it?

brewgal

Yes, you can just freeze it with marinade and shred it later. Are you planning to freeze it cooked or uncooked? You can go either way them. I have done both depending on what I am going to use it for later.

clarkdart

I am not really sure, we just wanted to try and make sure we could get the shredding set first. I would guess cooking it would be easier unless re-heating it ends up destroying the flavor. I would hate to go through that much trouble only to then pitch it out.

corked

Re-heating won't harm the flavor unless you overheat it or do it on too high a temperature. When all the kids were home, we used to do a lot of once a month cooking and we'd freeze everything all pre-shredded and cooked. Made life a lot easier and kept us from running out for fast food when it was a busy day.

brewgal

I love once a month cooking Corked! We do a lot of that and it does make everything so much easier. Clark, you shouldn't have anything to worry about flavor wise. :)

clarkdart

That would be great, we are all about the flavor now. Well I should say the adults are, we both quit smoking and got our taste buds back. Hopefully it does not go to our head because I know many recent quitters who started to eat gained a little too much after getting back into experimenting in the kitchen with foods.

If you want to shred it before you freeze it, then cooking it first would be easiest. Then just add whatever sauce you want to before you toss it in the freezer. I love doing cooking ahead of time. It actually saved me some time tonight when I made dinner.