Sloppy Joe Sauce

Many people equate sloppy joes with Manwich. It is so easy to make your own sloppy joe sauce from things almost everyone has on hand anyway though. I never buy it in a can. This is the recipe I use but I don't put in the mushrooms because I don't like them.

Cook 1 1/2 pounds of ground turkey or ground beef and add 1/4 pound sliced mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons yellow mustard, 1/2 tablespoon chili powder, 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce and ground black pepper. Cook that until it's warmed through and voila! Delicious homemade sloppy joes.

melli

That sounds great! I hate the taste of Manwich but I like sloppy joes. Thanks for the new recipe. I do have everything at home! Got a recipe for tater tots?

BrewJen

We just tried a homemade sloppy joe sauce but didn't like it. The apple cider vinegar taste was way too strong. Maybe we'll try yours. I guess the vinegar taste doesn't bother you or you wouldn't have posted it.

It's much like chili on a bun isn't it. I used to fix this years ago but haven't had it for quite some time. If memory serves me correct, you can buy the sauce in a can and just mix the cooked ground beef with it. Have any of you ever done that?

RobertMcC

Yum! That sounds good. I'm printing it out and we're going to try this one! I love sloppy joes and we usually use Manwich but it isn't as good as it used to be. I don't know if they've changed the recipe for it or if my tastes have changed but somethings different.

HappyHoney, I don't know about you but the only thing in the ingredient list that I use in my chili is the ground beef. BrewJen, you can adjust the amount of the vinegar to your taste. Melli, I love me some tots but the only recipe I have is to toss the frozen ones in the oven. ;)

My kids love sloppy joes! I make my own sauce also. Mine is a bit different, but this looks good too. I may try it out next time. In my recipe, I use sweet pickle relish instead of the apple cider vinegar. I also don't use mushrooms in mine and I add a little brown sugar and mustard. Everything else is pretty much the same ingredients.

clarkdart

It is very easy and sounds simple, I would have to try it when the kids are away. We have one that remembers being really sick as a child (we took her to the hospital she was so dehydrated), the only thing she remembers from the experience is eating it that week and swears that is what caused her to be sick.

Isn't it funny what kids remember Clarkdart? My niece won't eat hot dogs for the same reason. She came down with the flu and that was the last thing she had eaten.