Soft Pickles

RobertMcC

I cannot abide soft pickles. I've tried and tried to make the crispy but I haven't had much luck. I have succeeded in making them crisper than what I used to, but the truly crunchy pickle still eludes me. What is the secret to making them crisp and crunchy? Can anyone tell me?

I make refrigerator pickles and they are crunchy as long as you cut the slices thick enough. I don't know how you can make a canned pickle crunchier.

ciderchic

I've had the same problem every time I've ever tried to make pickles too, until finally I just gave up. Like you, I can't stand soft pickles! Blech! I've heard that if you soak the cucumbers in ice water first, they will stay crunchy after canning, but I've yet to try it.

brewbaby

You may be starting out with the wrong cucumbers or those that are over-ripe. Pickling cucumbers make the crunchiest pickles and they should be picked when just ready. The skins become smoother, the longer they ripen, so pickle those that still have all the bumps on the skins.

RobertMcC

Hmmm, that makes sense. I am planting pickling cucumbers but I think I've been letting them get too ripe. I have been wanting to experiment with alum too, to see if that would give the pickles a bit more crunch.