Soup

melli

Does anyone can their own soup? Man soup is getting expensive in stores these days. I would like to start canning my own. I wonder if it is a hassle though? Do you make it like you normally would and then just can it?

I have never canned my own soup before. I usually freeze mine in individual serving sizes. I have a vacuum sealer so it works out pretty well that way. I would think that you make it the same as normal and then just can appropriately.

rayne

As a kid, we grew lots of vegetables. When there was more than we could use or give away to neighbors, we made vegetable soup and canned it for the winter. When you opened a quart in winter, you could add any leftover meat in the fridge and have a wonderful warm meal. Canning is a hassle though. I like Stephanie's vacuum sealer idea better.

Marcia

I fix soup in huge batches, but I freeze mine. I've always been afraid of trying to can it. Freezing is easy, and it doesn't really take up a lot of space. We also love being able to give away containers of soup to family members or friends who are sick.

melli

I never thought about freezing the soup. I need to get a vacuum sealer. I love the idea of making vegetable soup and then adding meat to it when we eat it. I think I will go this route.