Sourdough Bread

RobertMcC

I love sourdough bread but I've never tried to make it. I have made other types of bread in my bread machine but never sourdough. Has anyone here ever tried to make it and do you have a good recipe? I'd love to try it. I'm sure fresh sourdough bread would taste better than the store bought stuff.

BrewJen

It depends on the culture you get to start the sourdough. See if you can get some from California; that's the only place I've tasted sourdough bread as it's meant to be. Everywhere else it is a pale shadow.

RobertMcC

Thanks BrewJen. I'll have to have a look around the internet and see what I can find. I used to be stationed in Hawaii and they had the best sourdough bread at a bar I used to go to. I would travel there even if I was miles away.

BrewJen

I really miss real sourdough bread. I should get my relatives to send some out to me so I can enjoy it again instead of making do with what they call sourdough around here.

SandyLynn

I've never made it before either. But, I have a friend that makes it all the time and it is delicious! I'm lucky because she always makes extra loafs and gives us some. :)

RobertMcC

Well, none of my friends make it so I'm left to my own devices. I am going to try to hunt down a recipe or maybe even some starter for my own. We have a bread machine which does all the work as long as I load it with the right ingredients. Off to search!

Felix

Our favorite restaurant in town stopped serving their sandwiches on sourdough bread because it was too hard to come by. They evidently sell more other types of bread. I love sourdough bread, but I can't find a single restaurant in our small town that offers it.

clarkdart

This is something we are planning to make when we get the courage to do so. We want a bread maker but I know some breads are a tad more time consuming (and complex), this might be one we attempt after we get a few successes under our belts.

Tess

I made some a few years ago around Saint Patrick's day. I think I got the recipe from AllRecipes. It was really good, but I don't remember if I used yeast in it or not. It was a round loaf and I baked it on a cookie sheet.

Felix

We're having a hard and harder time finding good sourdough bread in restaurants and stores around here. I suppose if we're going to ever have any again, we'll have to learn to make it or take up traveling.