Soy sauce varieties

Apron

I was reading that there are four varieties of soy sauce: Light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, Chinese black soy sauce and Japanese tamari soy sauce. The kind we use from the grocery store is usually light soy sauce. I didn't know all this, did you?

Georgie

I was aware of dark and light, because my supermarket sells both, and I know that there are quite a few different brands but I'm not at all sure what the difference is, unless it's just a variation in taste.

I was aware of many different soy sauces. I would like to share another sauce recipe with you, that you probably have not heard of either.
This sauce is great for chicken or veal.
Artichoke Sauce
Ingredients:
1/2 (15-ounces) can artichoke hearts, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
1/2 cup liquid from artichokes
1/2 cup evaporated milk
Melt butter on HIGH in the microwave oven for 30-45 seconds. Stir in flour and seasonings until smooth. Add milk and liquid and microwave on HIGH 3-4 minutes stirring several times. Add artichokes.
Try rolled chicken breast with ham and white cheese-cooked and served on rice pilaf with artichoke sauce. And Enjoy!

clarkdart

I knew of dark and light too but the others are new to me. A friend of mine mentioned the other day about one type that was kind of a sweet soy sauce that her mother in law makes. I am not sure if this is a strictly homemade one or something you might be able to buy at a store though.

Espresso

To be honest, I didn't know that there are several varieties of soy sauce. The bottles of soy sauce at the supermarket look all the same to me. I guess I might check it out the next time I do my grocery shopping.

Natalie

The artichoke sauce sounds wonderful. I tend to drown everything in sauce until it practically tastes like soup. I haven't had artichokes in so long and this is really giving me a craving for them.

boozy

I already know a long time ago that soy sauce has a lot of varieties. Some are naturally extracted, brewed and fermented. I love the taste of soy sauce with drops of Philippine lemon on it to create a mix of tangy and salty taste.