Storing Yeast

misty

Can you store yeast in the freezer? If you can store it in the freezer can you use it past its expiration date? I am mostly talking about dry yeast.

arcadefire

Yes, you can store yeast in the freezer and it should not have any harmful effects. I don't know if it makes it last longer or not but I would guess it does.

treets

As long as you remember to check on it every so often you should be okay. I forget how long you can go between checking them but its always a good idea to be on the safe side.

Crema

My strong guess is that you can...I've just read that freezing dry yeast can help keep its viability and activity. Also, freezing doesn't harm the yeast. :)

JimmyG

Is this for brewing? You can freeze yeast, but bear in mind that can get foreign spores in it even in the freezer. The yeast itself isn't that expensive, however.

misty

Well, it is for different things. some is for brewing and some is for baking. There is only one good place around here to get yeast because of prices. But going there is sometimes a hassle.

gits

Can you store yeast in the freezer? If you can store it in the freezer can you use it past its expiration date? I am mostly talking about dry yeast.
I was going to ask which kind of yeast you were referring to, until you mentioned it. It is best stored in the refrigerator and you will be amazed it can even last a year.

Get an airtight container(you do not want moisture going in)and put in a fridge/freezer.

Thirsty Mama

Re reading some old posts and I learned something today. I have thrown away many a package of yeast because it was out of date. Now I'll just put it in the freezer for safe keeing until I get ready to use it. Thanks!!!

Bobby

That's good to know. There always seems to be extra yeast left over after brewing. It's not enough for a new batch but it will expire before the next time I brew. Now I know I can freeze it instead of having to toss it.

Apron

We store yeast in the freezer for a year before we get rid of any leftovers. It may be good for long past that, but it's a practice we started long ago. It's not that expensive, and we wait until it goes on sale to buy it, so it's all good.

I have stored some yeast in a frig before. When I do this it does tend to last quite a bit longer. However, you may have to check on your yeast more frequently when you store in this manner to guarantee it is working properly.

i honestly didnt know you could store yeast in the freezer. whats the lowest temprature you can keep dried yeast at before its harmed?

beckyv1265

Has anyone tried cultureing there own yeast? I would like to know the process incase we are ever not able to get it. Other than the usualy sourdough method. I wonder how they kept before refridgeration?

wineywiney

I don't really store it in the freezer...I just keep it in the refrigerator...I think it is supposed to be a natural deoderant. Or maybe that was baking soda.