Sweet & Sour Sauce

WillG

My father-in-law used to make the absolute best sweet and sour sauce for sweet and sour pork I have ever tasted. He died a few years back and no one has his recipe. It was not the red sauce they have in Chinese restaurants. Who has a great sauce recipe?

Espresso

My sweet and sour sauce recipe is a simple one. I love to have it poured on fish fillet. Saute onion and garlic. Add julienned carrots, ginger and bell pepper. Pour pineapple juice. Add soy sauce, sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until the sauce thickens.

clarkdart

That does sound really nice, I am trying to hunt down a few sauce recipes too. It seems no one in my family ever thinks to write down the good stuff.

Georgie

I just use soy, vinegar, sugar, tomato paste, garlic and onions. You can adjust the amounts to personal taste but it always tastes delicious on spare ribs. I want some now!

Here is a really delicious sauce that you can use not only for pork, but also for chicken, pasta casseroles, and eggs!
Sauce Bechamel:
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 bay leaf
1 piece of celery leaf
1 inch of leek (optional)
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
In a saucepan place the milk, sea salt, nutmeg, bay leaf, celery leaf and leek. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. If you wish a smooth sauce, strain through a fine sieve and return the liquid to the saucepan.
Make a beuree manie using the butter and flour. Add it to the hot flavored milk. Beat with a whisk over medium heat until smooth and creamy. Taste for seasoning, adding more sea salt if necessary.
When the sauce is ready to serve, remove from the heat, add cold butter-1 to 3 teaspoons according to your taste-and stir until butter is melted; or fold a few spoonfuls of whipped cream into the sauce. Makes about 2 cups.
Here is another possible variation of Sauce Bechamel. The extra ingredients listed are just enough for the quantity of sauce in the basic recipe. If you want a larger amount, all the ingredients mus be increased proportionally.
Sauce Soubise:
Slice 4 large onions. Saute the slices in 1 tablespoon butter and 2 tablespoons salad oil in a large frying pan. Cook over low heat until the onions are soft but not browned, about 20 to 30 minutes.
For the classic sauce, pass the onions through a food mill or blender to make a smooth puree. Omit this step if you prefer to have onions apparent in the sauce.