The latest about caffeine.

Georgie

Allegedly it's the caffeine in fizzy drinks, coffee and energy drinks that is preventing this generation of teenagers' brains from developing properly. I do know that, as a child, I wasn't allowed to drink coffee or cola and energy drinks hadn't been invented. My children also weren't allowed these drinks until they were adults. What do you think?

BrewJen

I was occasionally allowed soda as a treat when I was a child. As a teen, I drank soda like crazy. Coffee wasn't off limits for me as a teen but I never liked it anyway.

We let our girls have small amounts of soda on rare occasions. They have not had coffee.

Jude

I totally agree Georgie. We grew up on water, milk and tea. Soda was a rare treat in my house. Even today, I don't care for soda. I'll have one every now and then, but not often. My kids didn't get a lot at home but they drink it like crazy now. I just don't believe it's good for you and I try to warn them at every opportunity.

corked

I never allowed my kids to have caffeine in very big doses, until they were old enough to go buy stuff for themselves. We only kept caffeine-free sodas in the house and energy drinks weren't really a big thing at the time. I didn't allow coffee until high school, and then they never had more than a cup or two. It sounds like larger doses are the issue.

HelenWheels

Same here. We weren't allowed to have soda pop on a daily basis like kids do today. It was a treat, or something you could get when you ate out at a restaurant.

I didn't start drinking coffee until I was in my mid-twenties.