The many flavors of blooming teas

HelenWheels

I love blooming tea. It's so beautiful and perfect for any time you are entertaining, or even just when you are doing something special for yourself. One tea flower will make enough for at least 12 cups.

I didn't realize how many varieties there are until I started doing a search to buy some online. I found vanilla, acai berry, pomegranate, jasmine, apple cinnamon, rose, calendula, and too many more to name.

I really need to get a clear glass tea pot. I broke the one I have and, while the tea is very good, it needs to be seen to be really appreciated.

Georgie

OK, what's "blooming tea"? I can guess that it's tea made with flowers, or "blooms" but I haven't heard it referred to in such terms, so spill the beans already!

Jude

Agreed Georgie! It sounds rather exotic and beautiful. Please tell us all about it HelenWheels. Post some pictures if you have any. I'm all about trying new things.

HelenWheels

Blooming tea is a bundle of dried tea leaves that are wrap around dried flowers. As the tea steeps in the hot water, the leaves open and the dried flower "blooms". It's really very pretty when it's in a clear pot. It makes a gorgeous presentation.

For more pictures, you can type in "blooming tea" or "flowering tea" on Google and then go to images. There are so many flavors, varieties, and different presentations that it is mind boggling.

Flowering teas were what lead me to discover loose leaf. I have a glass tea set that I got as a wedding present, and I still use it every day, even if flowering teas are mostly just a treat.

Tea Posy has some wonderful flowering teas. Their silver needle flowering teas are excellent quality, and they’re very pretty to watch. I have to say that I prefer silver needle teas, though--they taste like honeysuckle!

HelenWheels

Hi lady earl grey. That sounds wonderful. May I ask where you get the Tea Posy teas? Are they in a shop or do you mail away for them?

I found a lovely, little shop here that sells interesting kitchen gadgets and specialty items and also fresh herbs and many types of teas. I'll have to see if they carry Tea Posy or ask about it.

Tea Posy is an online shop (teaposy.com). I order a lot of tea online, but nothing beats being able to go into a store and smell or sample different kinds of tea. I'm lucky to live in an area that has a lot of great tea shops. I never would have discovered how many different kinds of tea there are if I didn't!