Thinking about a SodaStream

Allhops

So I'm thinking about getting a SodaStream because buying just regular club soda all the time is really expensive. I think just using it for that alone is a huge money saver in the long run. What do you guys think?

Bailey

We were just discussing this yesterday and can't decide whether to get one or not. It would surely save all the cans and bottles but we just don't drink that much soda. We're still in the thinking stages about this. Some opinions would be helpful. :)

TryAnything

We have been having the same discussion, and we still haven't come to a decision. We don't really drink pop all that much, so it isn't like we are spending an arm and a leg on pop anyway.

Allhops

Yeah if you don't drink that much soda, it's probably not worth the effort or money. But, I drink club soda a lot because I like to drink that rather than high fructose corn syrup garbage. So, I guess I'd have to do the math on how many bottles of club soda I could make per Co2 canister.

Here on Staples, you can buy one Co2 carbonator for $30. It says it makes 60 1 liter bottles of soda water. So that would roughly be $.50 cents per liter of club soda or any other kind of soda you wanted. Maybe a little more depending on if you buy their flavors or of course you can make your own! $.50 cents per liter or $1.00 per 2 liter bottle of club soda is actually more expensive than I can get it from Kroger. I usually buy it for $3 for 4 - 2 liter bottles at about $.75 cents per 2 liter bottle.

But, then again, you don't have the hassle of running out all the time and your bottles going flat. (Mine usually do before I can drink it all) So if you add in all the gas for driving back and forth, the time going to the store, you might come out on top.

Well that doesn't factor in the cost of the Soda Stream machine either. Those run upwards of $200 depending on which one you purchase. We talked about it and decided against it. It just didn't seem like it would really be that cost effective int he long run, with the CO2 and the flavors we would be spending just as much if not more.

brewgal

We have thought about purchasing one of these too, but I don't know. I think my kids might get a kick out of it. I will have to do a little more research on the overall costs first though.

oldieg

I don't have one. I am a Coke drinker and pretty much everything else taste horrible to me. I don't know anyone who has one. $200 is a lot for the initial purchase.

Allhops

Yeah I think it's a good marketing ploy because if you buy C02 as a restaurant, it's like 1000% cheaper! I'd rather just have a fountain drink center in my kitchen if I could! I need to make friends with a local business restaurant owner and then I can just purchase the stuff from him.