This Year's Wine

lab22

This year's wine is in the big bottles waiting for the next step of pouring it into wine bottles. For some reason we have a lot of fruit flies around it this year. It's never been this bad and I'm wondering if our weird weather this summer is the cause. Does anyone know how to get rid of them?

Bailey

It has to be the weather. We're covered up in flies and mosquitoes. There are several kinds of traps you can buy for fruit flies and there's also the fan. Depending on how much area you have to cover, turn on the fan to blow them away. Let us know what you decide to use.

lab22

Thanks Bailey I will try the fan. Are the traps those sticking strips that hang down? We are currently leaving a quarter glass of wine sitting by our bottles to see if they will fall in but are only catching a few. The bugs around here are driving me crazy!

HelenWheels

The best way to get rid of fruit flies is to take a bowl or jar and put in a cup of apple cider vinegar and a little dish soap. It really works. Give that a try before spending money on anything else. If you've got them really bad, put some jars/bowls out in several places. The dish soap prevents them from getting back out and they drown.

brewgal

HelenWheels that will work for fleas too if you are ever unfortunate enough to get those in your house. I have never tried it for flies, but I will remember it for next year because we always have a lot of flies in the summer.

DIY-Mom

This is an excellent tip, HelenWheels, thank you. I would never have thought dish soap is the magic item preventing flies from getting back out, but in retrospect, it makes perfect sense. I have learned something very practical today. :)

Allhops

Yes, that method with the apple cider vinegar and dish soap works perfectly. We had to do the same thing a couple of months ago. They were everywhere!