Tips on hanging herbs to dry?

brewbaby

Someone else mentioned hanging herbs in their kitchen to dry and this is something I'd like to do with at least my basil since it's doing so well. Are there any tips you can share on how to do it properly and how to tell that the herbs are dry enough to package?

Jude

I generally snip, bunch, tie and let dry outside for several days before bringing into the kitchen. When they crumble to the touch is indication to me that they are ready to be stripped and put into containers. I have heard that you can also dry herbs in the microwave but I have yet to try that.

brewbaby

Do you have someplace that is sheltered from the weather outside? We have so much rain going on right now, plus very high humidity, that I don't think they'd dry outside.

Jude

I hang them under the carport brewbaby. We have lots of rain going on right now too, so I'll leave them out there for the initial drying stage and then bring them in for the final stage. If the weather was hot and sunny, I'd leave them outside until they were completely dry. Right now, I feel like we are in a tropical rain forest. o_O

I typically just bunch together herbs with thread and poke a hole through a paper bag, stringing the looped part of the thread through the hole, and then hang it on a wall somewhere to dry.