Turbo yeast

beerplus

I came across some of this at a brewery supply store recently and thought I'd ask if anyone here uses it. I read that turbo yeast is comprised of a mix of extremely alcohol-tolerant yeast and complex nutrients that quickly ferment mash into alcohol. So, it is good for fast fermentation, but it also helps solve stuck or impure fermentation. It sounds like a very useful yeast.

wild

Yes it is useful if you plan to start distilling or brewing a beer well over 25%. As for using it for a normal brew, I believe it would dry it out too much to leave it drinkable.

Novice

Yes it is useful if you plan to start distilling or brewing a beer well over 25%.
At what alcohol content does beer stop being beer and start being liquor? In most states it's legal to brew beer, but not liquor. Is that distinction made by recipe or alcohol content?

wild

As for taste, I believe around 16% beer will take on a consistency of wine. Somewhere around 22% I believe beer takes on a consistency of port. Brewing wise, as long as you are not distilling, it will still be beer.

beerplus

Ah, I understand. I might try distilling a little later on when I get the proper equipment set up for it. So far, my beers tend to be in the low alcohol range (about 5%).

angeson

Defender of the swill
turbo yeast is made for distilling. It is real fast if you dont care about flavor.The distiller is going to cook off the brew to grain alcohol so tainted flavors will be lost in the process. You will wreck a beer of wine with such a yeast in my opinion.