Vanilla Bean Cream Soda

iluvmario

Vanilla Bean Cream Soda
Keep things cool with a simple, homemade version of this soda shoppe classic. Thick with the flavor of fresh vanilla, served chilled in a tall glass, this homemade cream soda is a delightfully easy summer treat.
2 cups sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp of almond extract
1 quart soda water, chilled
Combine 1 cup of water with the sugar in a medium saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add . Boil over medium-high heat, until the sugar dissolves. Let syrup cool before stirring in the vanilla extract. In a large pitcher or bowl, combine with soda water, stirring gently to combine.
*For an extra-cool party effect: Serve in a large punch bowl with dry ice.
*Cherry-Cream Soda: Add 1 packet of cherry kool-aid and 1/2 tsp. almond extract for a beautiful, bright red soda.

melli

This looks and sounds wonderful! My husband loves cream soda so I will certainly try out this recipe. I love the variations at the bottom too. Have you tried the recipe yet?

Lars

Yum! Few things smell as heavenly as a vanilla bean. Have you priced those things lately? They're expensive, but around the holidays, we splurge and buy one. They come from the vanilla orchid, I hear. I do want to try this recipe. Thanks!

Thank you for the awesome recipe! I was expecting having to go through the entire soda making process, but having to just add it to club soda water is especially convenient! The Kool-Aid modification is especially interesting...

clarkdart

It does look quite tasty. I really wish more shops around town got into making more flavors than the crazy ones we have seen lately. I think they are marketing only to kids or something, we can not seem to find any "normal" flavors anymore.

Marcia

Vanilla bean is one of the best things in creation. I was fascinated when I learned it was the seed pod of the vanilla orchid. Ever since, it's been one of those ingredients I love to play with, although it's pretty expensive to use often.

prepper

I love a good cream soda so I'll definitely have to give this recipe a try. It sounds really easy, too. The one question I have is where would I buy vanilla beans? I've never seen them at the grocery store. Of course, I've never actually looked for them so maybe they are there.

BrewJen

I really love cream soda. I usually drink diet so I don't gain 100 pounds, but it is awesome. I wonder how you could alter this recipe to a diet one.

Nicky

That looks like a great recipe. It made me thirsty. All these threads about cream soda.........it must be a sign or something. Time to go to the store for "supplies".