Vinegar Based vs Ketchup Based

rayne

We have two kinds of BBQ sauce in my area. One is vinegar based and the other is ketchup or tomato based. Most are homemade and put the grocery store BBQ to shame. I am looking for a good recipe for the vinegar based sauce. Already have one for the ketchup based one. Anybody out there have a favorite?

Vivanno

When it's grilling time, I actually use tomato/ketchup-based sauce more often. But I do create my vinegar-based BBQ sauce sometimes. It's actually pretty simple...Just mix together 1 cup of cider vinegar, 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp red pepper flakes, a dash of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.

skye

Vivanno, that sounds great. I like the vinegar based when I'm grilling and use the ketchup base more or less as a dipping sauce or to slather on right before eating. Both are good. I will try this recipe.

rayne

Vivanno, I tried your vinegar-based BBQ sauce this past weekend on some pork ribs and it was a hit. I did increase the sugar to 2 tbs though. It was a great compliment to the meat. Thanks!!

Starlight

Vinegar-based beats ketchup-based any day in my book. I'm always adding vinegar to the barbecue sauce bottle to add some zing. I'm still working with store-bought, but it's a big improvement. I also add vinegar to the ketchup bottle. I go with about 2 parts vinegar to 1 part ketchup. I guess you could say I like a little ketchup with my vinegar. :p

Thirsty Mama

I just bought some at Smithfield's Chicken and Bar B Q this past weekend and it is wonderful. Has just the right vinegar/spice/catsup ratio with hot peppers and hot sauce. I may try to make some when this runs out.