Vinegar instead

Marcia

I was reading in a magazine where, instead of paying the high price for those vegetable washing solutions, that white vinegar in a spray bottle works just as well, if not better. Just spray it on things like apples to remove the wax. I have gone through two bottles of the expensive stuff and am going to try vinegar next time.

prepper

I've always just used water to wash fruits and vegetables. It seems to do the trick for me. I do scrub some things, like beets or potatoes, to make sure to get the majority of the toxins off if I wasn't able to buy organic. I buy as much as I can locally so it doesn't have the coatings and other things, so that helps, too.

RobertMcC

I use white vinegar and some baking soda. The mixture will foam a bit so you have to run a sink half full of water, add vinegar and mix, then put a bit of baking soda in it. Add the fruit or veggies and wash them in it. Make sure you rinse it off, dry the fruit or let it sit on a towel to air dry. Works really well.

clarkdart

I have always used water as well since I can never get the taste of vinegar off the fruit. The only thing we really use it for in the house is clearing off baked on foods from the stove-top since it is glass.

I always thought there should be an alternative to the expensive "vegetable wash." It only makes sense that vinegar would work. I usually just rinse with water and then dry or rub with a paper towel. Thanks for the information.

melli

Vinegar is a great thing to have in your home at all times! I didn't know you could use it as a veggie wash though. I will have to try this next time I go grocery shopping.

BrewJen

I use a vinegar/water solution to clean smaller fruits and vegetables in my salad spinner. Big ones, like potatoes or apples, are simply scrubbed under running water.

Marcia

I've heard that apples and peaches are two of the fruits that carry the most bad stuff for you. I usually use water on them, but I'm wondering if I should be trying something else, too. I have used the washes, but I don't want to pay a lot for something I don't really need.

Lars

I use mostly water and my hands or a scrubber to clean my vegetables. I just cleaned a batch of romaine hearts by soaking them in water and then drying them. They'll go back into the refrigerator to use throughout the week. A vinegar rinse might be a good idea since they will be going into salads anyway.

BrewJen

Lars, you don't taste the vinegar. When I wash produce, I use a 1:3 ratio of vinegar to water and there is no vinegar taste on anything.