Weaker beer so drink more!

Georgie

John Smith are apparently going to reduce the strength of their beer so that they can reduce the price, to slow down the closure of pubs all over Britain. Would a slightly weaker but cheaper beer persuade you to go out drinking more often?

BrewJen

No, it probably wouldn't. I don't drink for quantity anyway. Besides, two cheaper and weaker beers are still likely more expensive than one solid beer.

clarkdart

I know a few of my younger friends would grab for something like this, especially a friend of mine that loves to bowl (and drink and hit on the ladies at the alley). For him it works but for me, married with kids it is not something that I put high on my priority list.

ILoveCoffee

I don't think that a cheaper beer would make me go out and drink more often. I am an occasional beer drinker, to start with. Also, I am with BrewJen. A weaker beer would probably make you crave two bottles instead of just one, so that makes it more expensive.

ILoveCoffee

I don't think that a cheaper beer would make me go out and drink more often. I am an occasional beer drinker, to start with. I am with BrewJen. A weaker beer would probably make you crave two bottles instead of just one, so that makes it more expensive.

Maverick

No. Weaker beer doesn't appeal to me at all. I'll drink a light beer once in a blue moon but it's not something I make a habit of.

clarkdart

I do understand the need for companies to cut back during hard times but I have never understood the need to lessen their product in order to do so. Surely there are other ways that would be possible in order to keep the company, not dampen the reputation and not turn customers off.

melli

Nope... I would be mad that it was a weaker beer. I don't like when companies mess with a product. I think they should find cheaper ways to make the same beer. This way they can sell it cheaper.

brewbaby

That's just plain silly. Make the beer weaker and you'll just find your customers switching to another brand or trying something else. I know I would as I don't like watered down beer at all.

lannister

Pub prices were once highly sensitive to duty, but so much of the price of a pint is now determined by the running costs of the pub, rather than duty, that stronger beers are becoming more common.