What are kits?

Melanie

What are kits used for making wine? I've never made my own wine so I'm interested in this. Does it make it simpler to make your own wine? Does the wine come out good?

Jason

Charlie Mops wannabe
Staff member
Kits come with everything you need in easy form. Typically a big bag of flavored liquid, two other bags of other liquid goodies, yeast and anything else you need. Boil some water and follow the instructions and there you go. No making your own juice/flavors. My wife loves the Blueberry kit I use. I believe it is Island Mist.

boxwood

I might start with a kit, just to get my feet wet. After that I can move on to making my own juices. Is Island Mist the name of the company that makes the kit?

Melanie

Kits come with everything you need in easy form. Typically a big bag of flavored liquid, two other bags of other liquid goodies, yeast and anything else you need. Boil some water and follow the instructions and there you go. No making your own juice/flavors. My wife loves the Blueberry kit I use. I believe it is Island Mist.
Interesting! It sounds like it would be worth a shot and simple enough. Are they typically expensive or pretty affordable? Where might I find a kit?

Karley

I didn't even know they had kits. I think I would like to start with that first. I was looking at the equipment needed to make wine and some of the starter kits are pretty expensive.

Jason

Charlie Mops wannabe
Staff member
Interesting! It sounds like it would be worth a shot and simple enough. Are they typically expensive or pretty affordable? Where might I find a kit?
I want to say around $50 a kit. Makes 5 gallons. But prices may vary locally, and online.

Wino

A kit sounds like a great starting choice for getting into wine making. I will have to try one of these out soon. How long does it usually take to make the wine?