What to do with pumpkin

melli

I want to make things with our pumpkins this year. Every year we just carve the pumpkins and scoop out the middle. I don't want to make pumpkin seeds. I'm thinking pumpkin butter - like apple butter. Is there anything like this out there?

corked

I've never made pumpkin butter but I have eaten it before, so yes, there definitely is such a thing. I'm sure recipes vary, but my great-aunt's pumpkin butter tasted very much like pumpkin pie and it was delicious.

masksis

I have had pumpkin butter before and it is very yummy. I have never made it though. It takes like you are eating pumpkin pie, so it is delicious if you are a fan of the pie. I would say try your hand out at it!

Have you tried pumpkin bread? It's called bread but it tastes like cake and it's delicious. I make loaves of the stuff every Christmas and give it for gifts. Pumpkin is also good for you.

HelenWheels

I love pumpkin. It's pretty versatile really. I've had pumpkin bars, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cupcakes, pumpkin cheesecake, and so forth.

I've cut it into chunks, boiled it, mashed it, and served it as a side dish. It also makes a nice base for soups.

brewgal

Pumpkin soup is delicious! My husband is in culinary school and last year they made a ton of stuff with pumpkins and it was all great. I will have to pull out his class binder and see if I can find the recipes for you. :)

clarkdart

We plan to carve too but I also want to setup some on the porch in funny shapes. I have seen so many images lately of things like this that I just have to try one. We still need to dig out extra decorations from the attic too, it is the start of the busy season!

lab22

I love pumpkin! I usually purée it and keep it in bags in the freezer. This way I can use it for different recipes like cakes, muffins and with mashed potatoes. I've never tried pumpkin butter but I bet I'd like it.

BrewJen

Pumpkin butter sounds good! I've always wanted to try pumpkin soup too but I haven't had it yet. We almost always roast the seeds though for a delicious snack.

melli

Pumpkin mashed potatoes? That sure sounds interesting! Do you just add a little mashed pumpkins to the potatoes? I have always said that my taters are bland. I bet this would sure add some flavor.

DIY-Mom

You can use your imagination with pumpkin mashed potatoes, melli. It can be mixed together with milk and butter (and salt) after the pumpkin and potatoes have been cooked and mashed separately. Alternatively, my favorite, do a partial mix. The picture says it all!
Potatoe Pumpkin Mash.jpg

TryAnything

Pumpkin butter is amazing. I haven't tried to make it, but I have never tasted any that I didn't fall in love with. I think I saw a recipe for pumpkin bread and pumpkin cookies not too long ago, so there are a few other options as well.

There are a ton of recipes with pumpkin. I love pumpkin bread but I have never used fresh pumpkin in it before. I wonder if it would come out the same or if you would have to adjust the other ingredients?

clarkdart

I wish we still had some pumpkins in our area. Just about every place that over stocks is out right now. The kids wanted to have pumpkins for Christmas so we are still looking but it is not looking hopeful.