Whats better for the environment?

MisterMo

I was just wondering what was greener, bottling or Kegging. I think that kegging is better for the environment because there is no way to make sure that the bottles you use will get recycled. What do you think?

Clyde

I do not think that one is any greener than the other. I always put my bottles in the recycling bin, but I also reuse bottles myself by sanitizing them. When they break is the only time they go in to the trash can.

Sal47

I would think using a keg is generally better for the environment. I guess it depends on whether it's possible to recycle 100 percent of a bottle. I always thought that wasn't usually the case, but I could be wrong. If you reuse your bottles like Clyde though, then I agree that it's about the same.

gits

Its much about the same but kegging, in my own view, is a little bit greener.Most of the time it is not possible to recycle the whole portion of the bottle anyway.

JimmyG

I don't know what is better for the environment but I know that beer tastes better from the keg. On the other hand, the keg is hard to drag to the beach!

clarkdart

We have two recycling bins at our house right now and might need three by the end of the year. How do you know things will not be recycled, do you think the recycle people come to pick our stuff up and just dump it somewhere random?

gwenbrews

We have two recycling bins at our house right now and might need three by the end of the year. How do you know things will not be recycled, do you think the recycle people come to pick our stuff up and just dump it somewhere random?
Well I think MisterMo has a point...and there are still a lot of resources that are used up to recycle those bottles. So I think kegs are the most environmentally friendly way to go.

Sylvia

I read a news report, last year, where a nearby big city was dumping recyclables. Someone found out what the city was doing, and now the city is in big trouble. Who knows where the recyclables go, once they leave your house. I do not know what a city gains from dumping the recyclables. Back to the original question, I think kegs are a greener option.

misty

Kegs can be reused more than bottles in my experience, and they are usually recyclable too aren't they? I would agree that kegging is better for the environment.

Sampson

Either one has to be recycled eventually. I use carboys for my wine, kegs for my beer and bottles for my jams, jellies and pickles. The carboys are re-used over and over as they are glass and I can sterilize them. As a matter a fact some of these carboys I have were my Dad's from back in the late 70's. I know bottles can be re-used, but can kegs be re-used again and again?

I was just wondering what was greener, bottling or Kegging. I think that kegging is better for the environment because there is no way to make sure that the bottles you use will get recycled. What do you think?
They will be recycled...... when you are using them again......

Ownageprankers

I would think using a keg is generally better for the environment. I guess it depends on whether it's possible to recycle 100 percent of a bottle. I always thought that wasn't usually the case, but I could be wrong. If you reuse your bottles like Clyde though, then I agree that it's about the same. I read a news report, last year, where a nearby big city was dumping recyclables. Someone found out what the city was doing, and now the city is in big trouble. Who knows where the recyclables go, once they leave your house. I do not know what a city gains from dumping the recyclables. Back to the original question, I think kegs are a greener option. It's much about the same but kegging, in my own view, is a little bit greener.Most of the time it is not possible to recycle the whole portion of the bottle anyway.

wineywiney

I honestly think Keggers are more environmentally adherent than bottles. Think about it this way, bottles can be re-used a few times but not that often. Eventually bottles will have to go somewhere...either recycled, landfill, or ocean. But Keggers can be used over and over.

Ownageprankers

I would think using a keg is generally better for the environment. I guess it depends on whether it's possible to recycle 100 percent of a bottle. I always thought that wasn't usually the case, but I could be wrong. If you reuse your bottles like Clyde though, then I agree that it's about the same. I don't know what is better for the environment but I know that beer tastes better from the keg. On the other hand, the keg is hard to drag to the beach!

PontusEuxinus

I think it's about the same if you reuse your bottles. Unless the keg is dropped and has to be replaced.. then the amount of material probably outweighs the amount from the bottles. Either way will not break the planet. As long as you are consciously trying to preserve resources you are doing it right.

im rather tired of worrying about the planet. every time i turn around the planets trying to kill me i figure i will just have to kill it first

Waynefire

They are both using materials. You can reuse the bottles faster though and this can lead to you having a better turnaround on the products.

So long as you are reusing your own equipment time and time again, it doesn't really matter how you store it. You are doing the environment a huge favor by not buying commercial and then throwing the bottles away!

I like to use the bottles myself. I do this because then I do not have to worry about tapping a keg each time and wasting some if I am not able to drink it all within a timely manner.