Whats better for the environment?

wild

I like to use the bottles myself. I do this because then I do not have to worry about tapping a keg each time and wasting some if I am not able to drink it all within a timely manner.
I take it that you aren't using CO2 to pressurize your kegging system. If you're using an air pump to retrieve pints out of your kegs, then yes your beer will go bad within 72 hours. My suggestion would be to go CO2 then you won't have to worry about wasting beer due to spoilage.

psmith140

A keg is generally better for the environment (you don't have to use all those bottles and you can keep it in one container) although having said that today it is possible to recycle most glass bottles.

wild

Our state doesn't recycle bottles anymore. After a competition, I'll have 800-900 bottles left over. All of the low scoring bottles will be emptied and added with the already empty bottles, then listed here for new brewers or anyone that finds themselves in a pickle.

Jimmy Don

My environmental concerns are more about the chemicals used for sanitizing the containers more than the containers themselves. My bottles and kegs I have reused for many years. Which sanitizing chemicals are the most environmentally friendly?