Where Do You Get the Caps?

BrewJen

Do the bottle caps come with the bottles? If not, or if you get reused bottles, where do you get the caps? Are they all the same size?

wild

Crown caps for American bottles are all the same size. You can find them at your LHBS, online stores, or specialty places for personalized caps. They normally sell in bulk starting at 100. If you plan to store/cellar for a long time, I suggest the oxygen barrier caps. They are slightly more expensive but worth the peace of mind.

BrewJen

Thank you for the information and suggestion. I’m not sure yet how long I will store my brew. How do the oxygen barrier caps work? Shouldn't all caps prevent airflow?

wild

Airflow is not the issue, these caps have a chemical added to the inside liner that actually "absorbs" oxygen from the head space of your beer. Use these on beer that is stored (aged) for a long time, such as barleywines, or for competition purposes.

Lars

I didn't know bottle caps were so complex. I love the idea of using personalized caps and handing out your specialty brews to friends and other guests during the holidays.