Why low efficiency?

arcadefire

Hey guys, I have another brewing question for you since you have been so helpful. When making an all grain brew what might some reasons be for low efficiency?

boxwood

Most of the time you get low efficiency when you aren't using the right amount of water. The amount you use doesn't seem right but it is. Still, because it doesn't seem right it is easy to screw up.

wild

Boxwood is correct. Also batch sparging rather than fly sparging will reduce efficiency.

arcadefire

Ah, alright. I am with you! I did not think about the water content or the difference in batch and fly sparging. I think I can fix this now. Thanks for your help guys.

angeson

Defender of the swill
Some guys at the homebrew club were alleging low efficiency was due poor milling by the LHBS.

wild

That is a possibility but that would mean that other customers would be having the same results.

arcadefire

I think I am the only person I know who was having the problem and with your guys help I have fixed it, so I do not think it was the issue in this case.

bochere

The right amount of water is really key and I used to just stare at my grandma because she never seemed to get this bit wrong. Before one learns the basic tools trade, you are bound to be a victim of low efficiency beer.