Wild Grapes

lab22

Every year at the end of our property, near the road, wild grapes grow like weeds. They are dark, bluish-purple grapes and really tart. When they are ready for picking they disappear! My neighbor said he saw an older man at the bush picking grapes and thought it was one of us. Granted, the first few years we didn't know they were there, but what amazes me is that he doesn't ask if he can pick them.

Has anyone had wild grape wine?

oldieg

I have not. I have to say that the man picking them without asking doesn't surprise me at all. I have seen the same thing here. You could put a posted sign up and see if that stops him.

Jude

Yes, I have had purple muscadine grape wine and it is delicious! It was a little sweet for me but had a terrific flavor. We also have some of these growing wild on our property but there's not enough to do anything with except eat them. I hope you find the man that picked your grapes so you can tell him that next year you would like to pick them yourself. :)

HelenWheels

We have wild grape vines in a lot of places around the area, but I never get any once they ripen. I am going to blame the birds or getting there ahead of me.

People are so rude. I can't imagine taking fruit from someone's yard. We had a similar problem with the pecan trees for awhile.

lannister

I came here to find out if the "grapes" I found this morning were edible. This is not a lesson. Change the title. This is not helpful.

HelenWheels

The thread title doesn't indicate that this is a lesson in grape identification. It merely suggests that this topic is a discussion about wild grapes in general.

It is not a good idea to eat anything you find without having it first identified by an expert. I don't know your location, or what sort of things grow in your area, but maybe this will give you some information that you are seeking.

Video - How do we tell edible wild grapes?

BrewJen

We have tons of sea grapes around here. Most of them just fall to the ground instead of being used. As for people picking fruit without permission, I've seen that plenty of times.

Allhops

Wow, I wish I had some wild grapes around here! It's not the right time of year for them either but that would be so cool. I could be making my own wine in no time!