Working With Chocolate

RobertMcC

I love to cook and I especially like to make candies and baked goods. I once helped my family for a while when my cousin opened a bakery. I got into making chocolate of all kinds. The only thing is that you cannot allow chocolate to become old. The fats in it become unstable and will sometimes go "off" if it's been a great while. If the chocolate still tastes good, you can revive it to use with a bit of paraffin melted in with it. You also cannot heat chocolate above a certain point because it will "seize up" or become crumbly. I love to do it though and try to make them for my kids every year at Christmas. They look forward to it.

Sounds like you got a real education on using chocolate. I love chocolate coated candies and used to make maple creams every Christmas. Have you ever made these? I'm already planning my Christmas gifts this year.

FrostyMug

Oh... is this why chocolate gets all white and moldy? I've bought chocolate candy bars from the store before that look like this. This is a pretty informational post. I didn't know all that about chocolate! You must be a master at it by now. Do you know how long chocolate will keep? What does it taste like when it starts to go bad? I mean is it a subtle difference or will it be quite sour or something?

rayne

Trust me FrostyMug. One bite into "old" chocolate and you will immediately know that it's not fit to eat. I did that one time and it nearly turned my mouth inside out. How can something that smells so good, taste so bad? Maybe they need a date on chocolate or do they have on one the package and I have just missed it?

The other thing about chocolate is that it holds onto smells from it's environment. I remember getting a chocolate Easter bunny one year from my Gram that tasted like cigarettes. It went into the trash. I like to work with chocolates too. I have several molds for Christmas time.

brewbaby

I have a hard time working with chocolate. No matter how careful I try to be, I seem to mess it up. Either the end result doesn't harden like it's supposed to or I end up with it falling apart. I really do need to learn how to use it more successfully.

RobertMcC

@FrostyMug, the reason that chocolate will have the white stuff on it, is that it will precipitate the cocoa butter out of it after changes in temperature. It's not moldy but it does look funny. Any yeah, you can definitely tell when chocolate is too old to eat. It tastes horrible.

melli

Very interesting! I too wondered why some candy bars had a odd color. I do not know much about cooking with chocolate. So if you heat it too high it becomes crumbly? That is cool!