Yeast Education

I need some help understanding the differences in yeast. This past Christmas, I made several loaves of bread, some of which didn't rise like they should have. My yeast packets were in date. Just last week, I bought more yeast packets with a more recent date, and the bread came out beautifully. Which is best for bread? The packets or the bulk yeast in jars? How long does yeast keep and still be effective?

Georgie

I don't think there's much difference between bread yeasts and, if it's dried, it will keep for several months. It's not just the yeast that affects rising though. The amount of water you use is also significant. If you use too little water, or it's too cold, the dough won't rise as much. Try using lukewarm water.

Thanks Georgie. I have made several loaves of bread since I first posted this and have used a different brand of yeast. It has made all the difference. My loaves have all risen beautifully and been very tasty. I think I'll stick with this current brand for a while.

JamesSkyrunner

Thanks Georgie. I have made several loaves of bread since I first posted this and have used a different brand of yeast. It has made all the difference. My loaves have all risen beautifully and been very tasty. I think I'll stick with this current brand for a while.
Whitch brand do you use @HappyHoney I haven't really got much of selection I often use fliechmans

James Skyrunner