Yeast Washing

dimples

I usually just replace the yeast but I have friends who say the reuse their yeast through a process called yeast washing. Can anyone explain what yeast washing is to me?

dimples

Thanks. That is an excellent walk through! You are very lucky to have found that on your first read! I like the diagrams, makes it very easy to understand. I thought it would be a lot harder than that.

angeson

Defender of the swill
Yes ,Thank You Wild.You seem to have quite a library of brew knowledge.Brew Plus is fortunate to have you here.:D

homemade

I have read about people using yeast husks as nutrient in brewing and have a tub of "Brewers Yeast Super Food" in the fridge that the girlfriend got as a nutritional supplement. Under ingredients it says "100% pure brewers yeast (debittered)".

Glenda

When I first heard of this, I thought it was going to be a lot more complicated. I am glad I got to read this step by step instruction.

Clyde

It is not hard to do but it is also not hard to replace the yeast either. I do not tend to spend time yeast washing. I do not know, I suppose that it is personal preference.

cuzican

I have never heard of yeast washing. I actually thought yeast was a powder or liquid. I am learning alot on this forum and hope to be able to surprise my husband soon with some good beer or such.

MisterMo

I think he would love that surprise! I am probably not going to try yeast washing until I am a little more experienced with brewing. Of course I will try anything once just to find out what is and is not going to work for me.

brewbie

Thank you for opening this topic, Dimples. I have never heard of the term yeast washing until I dropped by this thread. Is it possible to use the suspended yeast as it leaves the trub at the bottom of the jar?

amberwaves

Wow, interesting thread. I didn't know that you could reuse yeast, either. Thanks for posting the diagram...I'm learning so much here. Hopefully I'll be able to put all of this knowledge to brewing some good beer. :)

Missme

That was a fantastic article, thanks. I, too, was not aware you could reuse the yeast either, that really surprised me that it was that simple to "wash" the yeast.

wild

Thank you for opening this topic, Dimples. I have never heard of the term yeast washing until I dropped by this thread. Is it possible to use the suspended yeast as it leaves the trub at the bottom of the jar?
Yes, get yourself some mason jars and save the trub in your fridge. After the trub separates draw out the yeast.

makingloot

I have never heard of yeast washing. I actually thought yeast was a powder or liquid. I am learning alot on this forum and hope to be able to surprise my husband soon with some good beer or such. Wow, interesting thread. I didn't know that you could reuse yeast, either. Thanks for posting the diagram...I'm learning so much here. Hopefully I'll be able to put all of this knowledge to brewing some good beer.